NEW: The peculiar Lazarus Grey.


 "Lazarus Grey was a peculiar man."

"Peculiar? How so?" Nathaniel prodded.

"You know of him, I take it?" Doctor Fitzroy asked cautiously.

"Very little, I'm afraid."
"In many respects you are lucky."
"Which means?"

The doctor shrugged. "As I said, Lazarus Grey was a peculiar man. Though I say 'man' with some hesitation."

Nathaniel frowned. He loathed prevarication in all its forms. Why would people not explain themselves clearly and concisely? He needed the information, and he needed it now. What could be simpler? However, patience was an integral part of the situations he often found himself in, and although it did not come naturally to him, he felt obliged to indulge the doctor, if only to get what he needed out of him. "Hesitation?"

The older man frowned. "There was something not quite right about Lazarus Grey. Something... lacking. Even perhaps something added, something that he had that the rest of us... lacked."

"You knew the man well?"

"I wouldn't say that I knew him, I only met him the once. But that once was more than enough."

"That is not a statement that can be ended without more, much more. You must continue doctor." Nathaniel gently chided.

Doctor Fitzroy dipped his head in reluctant acknowledgement, and so he began to tell Nathaniel the story of his peculiar meeting with the even more peculiar Lazarus Grey.

Popular Posts