I HEARD RUSTLING


"What's that?"
"What's what?"
"I heard a sound!"
"No you didn't."
"I heard a sound."
There was a sigh.
"Ok. What kind of sound?"
"I don't know. Rustling."
"You don't know, or you do know?"
"I think it was rustling."
"You think?"
"Will you stop being so logical!"
"Someone has to."
Adam narrowed his eyes and repeated slowly.
"It was rustling."
"Ok. Rustling it is."
Silence
"A bird?"
"Too small."
"Deer?"
"No."
"What then?"
"Werewolf."
"Oh come on!"
"Could have been."
"You are so full of crap."
"Hey, werewolves are real!"
"Yea, and when was the last time you ate?"
"What's that got to do with anything?"
"Lack of food makes you delusional."
"Does not."
Raised eyebrows. Silence.
"Anyway, how do you know whether werewolves exist or not?"
"Because they don't."
"Says you."
"Says sanity."
"Oh, sanity!"
More silence.
"You'd know they exist if one ripped your throat out, or even worse, turned you into one of them!"
"You need to see someone about that imagination of yours."
"I have."
"Who? A therapist?"
"No. A publisher."
"Same difference."
"Tell Amazon that."
"Hmm."

Popular Posts